The ASE Foundation offers numerous student, sonographer, and fellow travel grants and scholarships to support training and educational conference participation. By fostering the next generation of cardiovascular ultrasound professionals, the ASE Foundation is ensuring that echocardiography continues to play a prominent role in the future of healthcare.
Alan D. Waggoner Student Scholarship Award
Established in 2001 in recognition of Mr. Waggoner’s professional achievements and service to ASE, the Alan D. Waggoner Student Scholarship Award funds scholarships of $1,000, which also includes complimentary registration for ASE’s Annual Scientific Sessions, and annual meeting travel support. The Alan D. Waggoner Student Scholarship Award is given to sonographer students enrolled in CAAHEP accredited educational programs who exhibit a passion for the discipline of echocardiography and demonstrate leadership abilities.
“It is rewarding to be part of a professional organization that not only recognizes physicians, cardiovascular sonographers, nurses and scientists involved in echocardiography but it recognizes students as well. Receiving the Alan D. Waggoner Student Scholarship Award has not only given me pride in the work that I have done, but is has also given me the motivation to do well in the future because my hard work is being acknowledged. Not to mention that by attending the scientific session, learning from experts in the echocardiography field and building up a professional network will definitely help me to stand out from other soon to be Cardiac Sonographers. By being an ASE member I do hope to contribute for the success of future students as well.”
Michelly O’Malley, University of Maryland Baltimore County DMS Program, Baltimore, MD
2016 Recipients of the Alan D. Waggoner Sonographer Student Scholarship Award:
- Beth Anderson – UAMS College of Health Professionals, Little Rock, AR
- Ellen Garcia – Community Regional Medical Center, DMS Program, Fresno, CA
- Abigail Kaminski – Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center, School of DMS, Milwaukee, WI
- Pamela Keebler – South Hills School of Business and Technology, State College, PA
- Deanna Knox – Bellevue College, DMS Program, Bellevue, WA
- Gina Lamonaca – St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, CVT Sonography Program, Hartford, CT
- Ashley M. Maes – Bellevue College, DMS Program, Bellevue, WA
- Melissa McKnight – El Centro College,CVT Sonography Program, Dallas, TX
- Erin Monroe – Mayo School of Health Sciences Echocardiography Program, Rochester, MN
- Ha Ni Nguyen, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, CVT Sonography Program, New Orleans, LA
- Alexis Pentheros – Sanford Brown College, CVT Sonography Program, Dallas, TX
- Jason Pereira – St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, CVT Sonography Program, Hartford, CT
- Edward Pierson, Lackawanna College, DMS Program, Scranton, PA
- Lindsay Provenzano – Johns Hopkins Hospital, DMS Program, Baltimore, MD
- Bobbi Jo Schlick – Mayo School of Health Sciences Echocardiography Program, Rochester, MN
- Michael Silverman – Johns Hopkins Hospital, DMS Program, Baltimore, MD
UltraEcho, Ltd. Cardiovascular Sonographer Student Travel Grant
The UltraEcho, Ltd. Cardiovascular Sonographer Student Travel Grant is supported by a grant to the ASE Foundation and is presented to a sonographer student enrolled in an accredited cardiovascular ultrasound program. This grant provides funding to assist a student to attend ASE’s Annual Scientific Sessions or another ASE-sponsored educational course.
2016 Recipient: Kendra Harper – Johns Hopkins DMS Program, Baltimore, MD
Click here for a complete list of UltraEcho, Ltd. Cardiovascular Sonographer Student Travel Grant recipients.
Feigenbaum Cardiovascular Sonographer Student Travel Grant
The Feigenbaum Cardiovascular Sonographer Student Travel Grant is supported by a grant to the ASE Foundation from Elsevier, Inc., to honor Dr. Harvey Feigenbaum’s commitment and tenure as the former editor of the Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography (JASE) for 20 years. The award is presented to a sonographer student enrolled in an accredited cardiac ultrasound program. This grant provides funding to assist a student to attend ASE’s Annual Scientific Sessions or another ASE-sponsored educational course. Each grant amount is $1,000 and includes a complimentary registration to ASE’s Annual Scientific Sessions.
2016 Recipient: Kelsey Bogen – Hoffman Heart & Vascular Institute, Hartford, CT
ASE Council Travel Grants
The ASE sponsors Council Travel Grants to trainees to fund their attendance at the ASE Scientific Sessions. These travel grants are part of an ongoing effort by the Council Boards to encourage trainees in cardiovascular specialties to focus on the respective echocardiography subspecialty and to recruit enthusiastic new members to the Council membership. In addition, the hope of the Council Boards is to provide interested fellows with a deeper understanding of the imaging field and facilitate the development of meaningful mentoring opportunities for trainees with established imaging faculty. Contact Lorna Siegal at email@example.com for more details.
Council on Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease Travel Grant
2015: Sara Swanson, MD, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI; Sandhya Ramlogan, MD, Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, MO
Council on Vascular Ultrasound Travel Grant
2015: Mandeep Randhawa, MD, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH; Amanda Dillon, RDCS, Kingston Heart Clinics, Kingston, ON Canda
Council on Perioperative Echocardiography Travel Grant
2015: Nadira Hamid, MD, National Heart Centre, Singapore; Sharon McCartney, MD, Duke University, Durham, NC
Cardiac Sonography Council Travel Grant
2015: Ashwin Venkateshvaran, MSc, RCS, RDCS, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciencies, Bangalore, India; Keri O’ Farrell, BA, RDCS, Banner University of Arizona Medical Center, Tucson, AZ